Xorg resolution with VGA Switch

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Wed May 27 08:30:35 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 07:49:18AM -0700, Aurélien PROVIN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a VGA switch to switch some devices on one monitor.
> But resolution of my X session is limited to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200.
> If I hotplug the switch when the X session is started in 1920x1200, it works.

It sounds like the switch is preventing the hardware from reading the
EDID from the monitor.  Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for warnings to that
effect.

If that is the case, then your best bet might be to save the EDID to a
file by clicking the "Acquire EDID" button in nvidia-settings when the
monitor is connected directly, then feed it back to the driver by
using the "CustomEDID" option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  See the README
for more details on how to do that.

Please direct further questions to linux-bugs at nvidia.com.

Hope that helps!
-- Aaron