up-arrow key not working again.

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed May 27 16:29:48 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 03:55:07PM -0500, Robin Cook wrote:
> I have the AllowEmptyInput but not the AutoAddDevices.
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option  "AllowEmptyInput"       "false"
> EndSection
>
> The two option were what I was told to put in there and it was working
> on the previous version with the patch.

Oh. that'd explain it then. I'm suprised you don't get duplicate key events
though.

anyway. If AEI is off in the server, the server defaults to the xorg rules
file (which is the one for the "kbd" driver).
you still have AutoAddDevices on, so the device you actually see are the
ones added by through HAL with the evdev driver. evdev has different
keycodes than kbd, leading to the up/screenshot issue.

if you remove the AEI option (or enable it, the default), the server
defaults to the evdev ruleset (expecting devices to be added) and the
problem is gone. Note that while you're at it, remove the keyboard section
from your xorg.conf, it'll be ignored once AEI is on anyway.

tbh, I can't even think of a scenario where AEI should be off but
AutoAddDevices should be on. The reason why we see this configuration is
that some (pre-released) X servers required it to get the evdev keycode
issues sorted out. So please tell your friends that AEI off is not your
friend at all.

Cheers,
  Peter