May I rework XKB ?

Dirk Wallenstein halsmit at t-online.de
Tue Nov 17 08:55:32 PST 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 15:26:18 Sergey Udaltsov wrote:

> In relation to the XKB editor, did you have a look at
> http://code.google.com/p/keyboardlayouteditor/ ?
> It is not to bad, indeed

No, I wasn't aware of that application. Thanks for pointing to it, but there
are several keymap editors in the form of layout assemblers and xmodmap
frontends. Sorry that my initial message wasn't clear about what will make
Duttulm different. The important thing is that you will be able to edit
arbitrary geometries, key types, behaviors and actions.

Currently all modifications are made in terms of keysyms. You have a predefined
set of actions that you can put onto a level in terms of specifying a keysym
that will be translated into an action. Some things are simply not possible
currently, and to see what might be possible, I recommend the chapter 16 of
XKBLib.pdf. There is a myriad of opportunities for real cool device interactions.

Greetings.