How X works / lightest Window Manager

Lucas Mocellin lucasmocellin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 07:55:09 PDT 2009

I have 2 programs(my GUI + firefox) for normal users "manage", they will get
lost without a WM. I want to be light but very user-friendly. Simple to use.

A kiosk sounds interesting to me, I had never heard about that berfore.
Firefox has an add-on, and works quite well.

The problem is that I can't "set it up", I mean, firefox runs in fullscreen,
and what about my GUI? even though ALT + TAB works, normal users won't know
how to use it. I don't have a panel like "window list applet" in gnome. (
*MAYBE* I could design a GTK interface acting as a panel located on the top
and the option "always on top", what do you guys think about? )

Also, I need a button to shutdown/restart. (that could be located at that
gtk panel).

I'm looking at Linux kiosk and twm-kiosk, trying to compile and test it. but
looks like it will work to me.

thanks,

Lucas.