nouveau and /dev/dri ?

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 10:02:57 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying nouveau for the first time on amd64 and it's almost but not
quite working.

The problem is that /dev/dri/ doesn't get created, and I don't know why.

Is /dev/dri/card0 supposed to be created by udev at boot time, or by the
kernel when X is starting up, or ...?

I have no /etc/udev/rules.d/ file to create the appropriate device(s), so
if that's my problem where would the file normally come from?

I'm using the nouveau modules in the kernel sources (current Linus.git)
and xorg server-7.5/xf86-video-nouveau-0.0.15_pre20100329, as supplied
by the gentoo/~amd64 packages.

The xorg nouveau video driver loads without error when starting X, but
can't find /dev/dri/card0 and quits.

Any clues most welcome.

Thanks!