multiple monitors configuration without proprietary driver

Luis Alberto Padrón Hernández lpadron at iusiani.ulpgc.es
Fri Apr 9 07:14:50 PDT 2010

Hello Everybody,

My name is Luis Alberto. This is the first time I write in this list. I do so
to ask for advice on how to properly configure my X server. I have
usually done well with the information on the Internet, but I have been
two hole days trying without results, and it is very frustrating as it
worked with ubuntu 9.04 32 bits.

 I have been using Linux for a while now (mainly Debian and Ubuntu)
usually smoothly, but I have just done a fresh install in my AMD 64 X2
with a GeForce 6500 and two monitors (SAMSUNG SyncMaster 901N
through VGA + HP L1925 through DVI) of a ubuntu 9.10 amd64.

I have not been able to get 'nvidia' driver to work, so I need to set my
two monitors with 'nv' driver (I guess). I have tried lots of things without
luck.

I am able to get a large desktop with option 'DualHead', but the
configuration is not the one I need (I need two different displays, so
that when I maximize a window, it stays in one monitor). Without the
'DualHead' option, the X server simply crashes (One monitor is
completely violet, and the other one blank). I have two questions:

a) With option 'DualHead' on, if I type 'xrandr -q' I get:
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 200, current 2560 x 1024, maximum 2560 x
1024
default connected 2560x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   2560x1024      76.0*
   2048x768       76.0
   1600x600       73.0
   1280x480       73.0
   1280x400        0.0
   640x400         0.0
   640x240         0.0
   640x200         0.0

Why don't I get 2 screens?  Is there some way to see 2 screens?

b) With option 'DualHead' on, the rest of the parameters (I mean,
RightOf, a new screen, etc ...) do not have any effect. Is it normal? I
post here my current xorg.conf file. If a remove the option 'DualHead', it
doesn't work. Any suggestions please?

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    FontPath     "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    FontPath     "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "dri2"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    #DisplaySize      380   300    # mm
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "SAM"
    ModelName    "SyncMaster"
    HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    #DisplaySize      380   300    # mm
    Identifier   "Monitor1"
    VendorName   "HP"
    ModelName    "HPL1925"
    HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Option     "DualHead" "true"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "nv"
    VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName   "NV44 [GeForce 6500]"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen      0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        #Option     "DualHead"  "true"
    Identifier  "Card1"
    Driver      "nv"
    VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName   "NV44 [GeForce 6500]"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen       1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth  24
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes       "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device     "Card1"
    Monitor    "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth  24
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes       "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Myself Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        #Option         "Xinerama"  "on"
        #Option         "Clone"    "on"
EndSection