X server 1.9 release thoughts

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Sun Apr 11 14:45:07 PDT 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:20:00 +0200
Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > The question is whether driver maintainers want to deal with
> > non-maintenance changes (like new hardware support) in the stable branch
> > of the X server, which will require additional work as they back-port
> > things from master.
>
> Was a bit shocked when I heard driver will be merged back into xorg.
> When it they were taken out I had the possibility to install new
> drivers without upgrading my distribution, I guess that opportunity
> would be gone. It least I won't install git xorg just to test intel
> driver's RC releases.
>
> For the "we have soo many #ifdef's in our code" argument, well isn't
> it up to the driver devs how late back they intend to support xorg.
>
> - Clemens

what is the difference between installing inteldriver's rc release and
installing an drivers-merged-back-xserver rc release?

i think it would be good, if the xserver and drivers get merged and an
linux-like process installed.

it all boils down to the developer community and if there are more
changes and more need to interact, the community will
hopefully get stronger...

the hope is, that there will be a thriving development process going by
bundling all changes in one repository. that way more eyes look at the
code.

also there is the channeling through the gatekeeper which will
streamline development (more eyes means catching bugs early, means
more rapid progress)