Betreff: ATI Radeon R100 QD (7200) refuses to work with Compiz (Kernel 2.6.34-rc4)

Uwe Bugla uwe.bugla at gmx.de
Mon Apr 19 03:10:55 PDT 2010

This time CCed to list as requested by Luca Barbieri:

Hi,
I am running kernel 2.6.33-rc4 on a Debian Testing Squeeze release.
I have debianized the latest driver snapshot from
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati.

So I am using the ATI driver version 6.13 in connection with the latest
Radeon driver in kernel with KMS enabled.
Everything is fine so far, until I try to start Compiz:

"drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -12. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command
stream. See dmesg for more info."

This is the message when Compiz is started via "compiz --replace &"

The card's memory is 32 MB Video RAM - it's a quite old one :))

I do NOT use a specified xorg.conf in connection with
xserver-xorg-1.7.6, as it is a new driver where everything is being
managed via KMS.

And that's it what Gnome's System Information spurks out under Computer
-> Display:

Vendor          Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
Renderer        Mesa DRI R100 (R100 5144) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
Version         1.3 Mesa 7.9-devel
Direct Rendering Yes

So everything is OK except the "-12" kernel crash above, performed every
time when I try to start Compiz Fusion.

Any idea or patches available?

Thanks!

If you need further information please ask me for it.

Uwe

P. S.: I compile the Mesa Library as described in the Internet, but with
two exceptions:

a. I do not take the master branch, I prefer Luca Barbieri's
nvfx-next-branch instead because I need
a working solution for my two Nvidia NV34 cards, and Compiz works if I
use that branch while the master
repo is not yet compatible with Compiz.

b. I do not take "disable-gallium" as a configure switch, I prefer
"-enable gallium-nouveau" instead because
I do need a functionable Gallium nouveau driver too when compiling the
mesa library.

c. When will Luca Barbieri's nvfs-next-tree be synchronized with the
master tree?

d. Is it possible that the current ATI driver's texture size is erratic
(i. e. too big)? I have no idea where the error could result from!

e. Although stated differently in the error message above neither the
dmesg nor the xorg.0.log file reveal any information that could be
really helpful.