Xorg using 90% of CPU

Felix Oxley felix at oxley.org
Mon Apr 19 08:22:17 PDT 2010

Hi,

I suffered a brief (10 second) power cut leading to a hard power off.
Since that time, when I log in to Gnome, my system is very slow to respond.
System monitor shows constant CPU activity even when I am doing nothing.
top command reports that Xorg is using ~90% of CPU.

I have forced an fsck on all drives and rebooted multiple times to no
effect.
Since the fault developed I have upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 but the problem
persists.

Xorg version is 7.5.
Graphics card RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
Currently using Linux driver (afaict - fglrx is showing up in lsmod), but
problem occurs with either the proprietary or inbuilt driver.

Can anyone please suggest steps to troubleshoot/resolve?

Thanks

System details:
Originally Ubuntu 9.10
Linux molly 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 04:38:19 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux

now: Ubuntu 10.04
Linux molly 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:09:38 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Quad core Opteron 1352 2.1GHz
4GB RAM
Separate partitions for / /home /boot /tmp
plenty of disk space.