X lib support for embedded systems.

Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
Tue Aug 10 23:54:20 PDT 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:

> Twas brillig at 08:13:29 11.08.2010 UTC+02 when
> curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl did gyre and gimble:
>
> PGS> what facts do you need ? try tools like qpkg, ls -lha and
> PGS> calculator on your own systems.
>
> Desktop X.org? Are you joking?

is there any other?

> PGS> also try to run Xorg on anything with 32/64M ram
> PGS> and see how much memory it consumes.
>
> Well, I do every day. Works pretty much fine.

well, it all depends what u call 'fine'
if it's 'managed to boot up, took half of memory and runs @ 5fps'
then sure ;)

btw quick mem check on one of my uclibc based machines :
top memory consuming app: Xorg
45M resident (!) , 329M virtual. apps opened - xchat, few windows with
links browser, few terminal windows, xastir . wm - fluxbox.

i also do run X on 64 and even 32M machines, mainly because X is just
easy to deploy and some apps i use are not yet ported to directfb.
mem stats are quite similiar, top mem usage app - X.
performance ... well. above 1fps. it can be considered 'it works', right ?
;)