ssh tunneling for a newbie :)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Aug 11 10:32:39 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 12:27 -0400, Mathieu Parent wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I am currently working on some bioinformatics project. I installed a
> software called ProgressiveMauve for genome alignment on the company
> server.
>
> In fact, it needs to forward the X11 window to my mac in order to
> visualize the alignment.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance !
> Regards,
> Mathieu
>
> Here is whet I get back when I call the software, I connected with ssh
> -X <IP>

The ssh server must be configured to allow X11 forwarding.  For openssh
look in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the machine with ProgressiveMauve
installed.

After that, again for openssh, you almost certainly want to be using -Y
instead of -X; -X asks for additional security checks that many older
toolkits are not prepared to cope with, which will probably make your
app crash.

- ajax