Reasons for FreePicture to cause "RenderBadPicture"?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 12:43:33 PDT 2010

Hi again,

Seems I have found the cause of the problem: Freeing Pictures that
belong to an already destroyed window cause the RenderBadPicture
error. The XID values in the error-log were wrong and therefor
misleading.

What puzzles me is the inconsistent behaviour:
When a Window is destroyed, all its associated Pictures are freed,
however this is not the case for Pixmaps.
Even after calling XFreePixmap the assiciated Picture-Objects stay alive.

Any idea whats the idea behind this inconsistency, or is it a bug?
I feel really uncomfortable relying on this behaviour in my code :/

Thank you in advance, Clemens