XRandR failing to emulate Xinerama when Zaphod is in use (was: XRandR failing to expose two monitors on single RV280 as separate heads)

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Feb 23 03:26:10 PST 2010

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net> [2010.02.23.0959 +0100]:
> Courtesy to my ASCII-art skills, this is what I currently see:
> Zaphod combining two Screens, and the second screen split across two
> displays with XRandR. Unfortunately, head 1 spreads across both
> displays 1&2.
>
>  ← Display 0      → ← Display 1     →  ← Display 2      →
>  ← ScreenLeft     → ← ScreenMiddleRight using XRandR    →
>  ←            Zaphod-style combining                    →
>   ________________   ________________   ________________
>  |  ____________  | |  ______________|_|______________  |
>  | |            | | | |              | |              | |
>  | | head 0     | | | |             head 1            | |
>  | |____________| | | |______________|_|______________| |
>  |________________| |________________| |________________|
>
> And this is what I want to see: three separate heads:
>
>  ← Display 0      → ← Display 1     →  ← Display 2      →
>  ← ScreenLeft     → ← ScreenMiddleRight using XRandR    →
>  ←            Zaphod-style combining                    →
>   ________________   ________________   ________________
>  |  ____________  | |  ____________  | |  ____________  |
>  | |            | | | |            | | | |            | |
>  | | head 0     | | | | head 1     | | | | head 2     | |
>  | |____________| | | |____________| | | |____________| |
>  |________________| |________________| |________________|

With the help of Alex and Michel, I think I tracked this down to the
incompatible Xinerama implementations between Zaphod and XRandR.
While each of them works fine in isolation, once you enable Zaphod,
XRandR simply won't emulate Xinerama.

My window manager (awesome) apparently only has Xinerama support,
not XRandR support.

http://awesome.naquadah.org/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=518

"for art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to
 exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable:
 intoxication."
                                                -- friedrich nietzsche

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net