I don't want my IR handset to act like a keyboard

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xorg at tikei.de
Sun Jan 10 15:02:32 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 18:04:35 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> I've got a DVB card with an IR controller which appears as an input
> device. I want my applications to read the input device directly, not as
> a keyboard. Among other reasons, it's because I want to use the "OK"
> button while mplayer is running, but it generates an "Enter" keypress
> which mplayer interprets as "please quit".

You can use lirc to use the event device of the IR receiver and the
devinput driver in lirc to define what actions you want for keypresses.

There is also a tool called inputlirc, which acts like an lirc daemon
but is limited to input devices that send key events, like it's the
case in your setup.

Maybe you can also change the key events using the input-utils package.

Regards,
Tino