visual resizing and positioning of displays

allcoms allcoms at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 12 08:54:35 PST 2010

Hi Steve!

Ah! xvidtune! I'm surprised it took so long for someone to name the
command that I was looking for. Is this what yast's graphics and
display module is using to do what it does?

I'm typing this atm under X.Org X Server 1.7.2, using the RadeonHD
driver with a RHD 4350 connected to a single DVI display under Arch.
When I type 'xvidtune' with no extra parameters in an xterm all I get
is:

Unable to query monitor info

Is this a fault of the radeonhd driver, xorg, vidtune or my monitor?

Also, unless I'm mis-understand things, reading the man page for
xvidtune says nothing of how you would use it to configure additional
displays. Have you simply got to run it on the display you are trying
to configure? As I've already stated, my main need for this is to
configure external HDMI displays- I was looking for my HDMI cable on
the weekend but I suspect my housemates son has half-inched it so
looks like I'll have to get another before I can try testing xvidtune
with my poulsbo.

Should xvidtune be able to do what I want or will (external) HDMI/DVI
displays confuse it?

Dan