I don't want my IR handset to act like a keyboard

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 10:55:16 PST 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:25:11 +0100
Éric Piel <E.A.B.Piel at tudelft.nl> wrote:

> Op 10-01-10 19:04, Tony Houghton schreef:
> > I've got a DVB card with an IR controller which appears as an input
> > device. I want my applications to read the input device directly, not as
> > a keyboard. Among other reasons, it's because I want to use the "OK"
> > button while mplayer is running, but it generates an "Enter" keypress
> > which mplayer interprets as "please quit".
> >
> Interestingly, someone has been complaining of exactly the opposite:
> http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1309

That's obsolete too now, because of X not using hal any more.

> Maybe in your case, what you need is just a special keymap for the
> remote control, and make sure that applications listen to it only via X.

The trouble with that is that I like my application, boxstar, to handle
the remote presses and pass on commands to mplayer via its "slave"
interface, but mplayer grabs focus away from boxstar, depriving it of X
keyboard events. I don't want to have to rely on making special
exceptions in the window manager.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk