visual resizing and positioning of displays

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 13:15:10 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM, allcoms <allcoms at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> With digital monitors you are almost always guaranteed to have an EDID
>> (IIRC, DVI and HDMI require it) which should prevent you from needing
>> to tweak the modeline as the EDID contains the supported modelines
>> from the monitor.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> I have a Mini 10 netbook with poulsbo gfx / HDMI out which runs jaunty
> with the psb driver. I've only tried it on 2 different HDMI displays
> but the display didn't fit on either- I couldn't see my full desktop.
> Does this mean the psb driver is non-EDID aware?
>
> Poulsbo may be a bad example as its drivers don't have a great rep, so
> lets take my Dads Ion netbook as an example. I installed the binary,
> 185.x NV drivers under Karmic on it and tried it with 2 different
> displays and yet again the display did not fit on the screen.
> Searching the web I found many reports of others having the same
> problem- does this mean NV's binary Linux drivers are also non-EDID
> aware?
>
> With the same netbook (a HP/Compaq Mini 311) running XP and the latest
> NV Ion drivers I had exactly the same problem on both (different)
> displays I tried it on in that the desktop didn't fit the display
> properly but at least under Windows the NV config tool does have a
> tool for resizing and moving HDTV displays which meant I was able to
> set it up properly under Windows. Does this mean Nvidia's Windows
> driver doesn't detect EDID properly either or am I just really unlucky
> with my displays? With both Windows and Linux I've never had a
> faultless 'plug and play' experience with HDMI, thus the need for an
> updated xvidtune.

Sounds like you have an unlucky display.  Even without an EDID, your
TV will likely work with the standard HTDV timing modelines (it should
for devices like cable boxes and DVD/BD players).  Also note that some
tv's automatically overscan HDMI for some reason, you may have to
adjust the TV itself to remove that.

Alex