I don't want my IR handset to act like a keyboard

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 12 23:19:46 PST 2010

On 1/12/2010 6:54 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 06:26:58PM -0800, Paul Bender wrote:

>>> It's gone in master (and probably soon from debian/ubuntu). The server
>>> just grabs everything marked with ID_INPUT by udev.
>>
>> As Xorg is not the only input device handler, this would seem to be a
>> bug / design flaw that should be fixed before 1.8 is released. If not,
>> distributions will need to hack around it in their udev scripts by
>> clearing ID_INPUT whenever they do not want Xorg to grab the device.
>
> To add more detail to Dan's comment, the server ignores devices without
> ID_INPUT set. Any device that has ID_INPUT set will be matched against the
> input attributes in the xorg.conf.d and - if successful - added to the
> server. If a device does not have a matching xorg.conf.d section or the
> x11_driver already set by udev, it will not be added.

Thanks for the additional detail. That makes more sense.

If it has not already been done in master, it would be nice for the
InputClass Section to support an Ignore option similar to the "Monitor"
section. That way a package/user could add xorg.conf.d files that would
cause Xorg to ignore specific devices, for example keyboard event
devices that are actually remote controls being handle by LIRC while
still allowing for an xorg.conf.d file that grabbed all keyboard event
devices.