Wacom CTH-661 vs. Xserver 1.7

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Jan 17 19:31:01 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:56:08PM +0100, Florian Echtler wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've borrowed a Wacom Bamboo Fun (CTH-661) and I'm a bit confused about
> the various driver bits and pieces. AFAICT there's the in-kernel driver,
> the xf86-input-wacom driver and linuxwacom, which provides both.

To get your tablet to work, you need the X driver and the kernel driver,
preferably in a combination that works. The linuxwacom package provides both
kernel patches (those not yet submitted to upstream) and the X driver in one
source tree.

xf86-input-wacom is the X driver from this package forked into a separate
repo, and then cleaned up. The kernel patch set will see a similar fork soon
so that we will have a kernel repository, an X driver repository and
possibly a wacom-utils collection instead of one giant tree.
The kernel driver isn't set up yet though so for now you'll have to get the
kernel patches from linuxwacom, but you can use xf86-input-wacom as your X
driver.

> It looks like the most recent linuxwacom supports the CTH-661 (at least
> with a patch); however, it doesn't play nice with Xserver 1.7.

Is this a deficiency of the X driver? we're currently in the awkward
situation where some distros ship linuxwacom and others started shipping
xf86-input-wacom, so there is some parallel development going on with
forward and backward porting. sometimes patches can get lost though, please
let us know if that is the case.

Also, you're probably better off on linuxwacom-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
for wacom-specific questions.

Cheers,