X11 fullscreen

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Sun Jan 31 18:49:17 PST 2010

Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Man, don't have a job? Is your time worth anything to you?
> And by the way ... I've never read so many *strange* arguments in one
> discussion.
>
> (using shm ximage for normal drawing is bullshit)

What do you suggest? I'd very much like to know.
How do other toolkits draw widgets? I haven't bothered
looking for a long time.

I tried and battled XRender for some time. It was poorly documented
to the point that it hardly seems like it was intended to be used
by anyone generally. It also had bugs when i used it. Gtk uses it
iirc, but i won't touch it now. I did read the source in X server.
Glitz and other stuff wasn't a lot of use. I just use opengl if i
need much acceleration.

I have found no performance problems with shm ximage
for the way i use it. The results look no different
to any other toolkit.