Desperately need the elographics input driver back.

Bernhard Prell bernhard.prell at gmx.net
Wed Jun 2 09:03:23 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 Peter Hutterer kindly responded:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 12:04:57PM +0200, Bernhard Prell wrote:

> > ... <snip>...
>
> > Today I updated a linux installation to xorg 1.7 (the distribution is
> > gentoo btw.) and was confronted with a message that support for the
> > elographics driver was dropped.
>
> are you sure you're talking about elographics here? it's one of the few
> input drivers that's half-maintained. it's being kept buildable and even
>  saw some real changes more-or-less recently. It certainly builds, git
>  master does so anyway. It's overdue for a release though so maybe that's
>  the issue here?

Yes, I am talking about elographics.
I fetched the latetst version from git master and injected it into a normal
"emerge" of the xf86-input-elographics-1.2.3 "ebuild" (gentoo-package).
(Pausing the emerge by ctrl-z, cp, fg)
It works very well as far as I can see! :-)
Obviously it has not diffused yet to the responsible gentoo package
maintainer...

> > ... <snip>...

> > Maybe someone can supply me with a working xf86Elo.c or can point me to a
> > person I can ask, or point me to a document where I can find the
> > information to fix it myself (quickly). If I should become the maintainer
> > of the driver because nobody else wants to do it, who should I "inquire"
> > to :-) ?
>
> me. more or less :)
>
> the reason we deprecated a bunch of input drivers is twofold - one is that
> most of these devices are well supported by the (Linux) kernel now and
>  don't have a need for a specific X driver.
> the other reason is that we don't have hardware to test these drivers so
> beyond build testing there's not much we can do.
>
> anyway. as I said, elographics seems to be building fine from git but we'd
> still welcome a new maintainer. it's not a lot of work, anytime the API
> changes we update the mouse, keyboard, evdev and synaptics drivers and the
> patches are usually quite easy to port to elographics.
> so if you're interested in that, let me know in private and I'll give you a
> run-down of what's needed.
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter

Maybe I will come back to you regarding this "maintainer topic" next week, now
I'm off for a long weekend :-)

Thank you (and Tias) for your support,

Bernhard