User in Problem

Nigel Sollars nsollars at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 05:37:30 PDT 2010

You might want to check out whats supported by gallium3d, Ubuntu 10.04 uses
it as my older laptop has an ati x1400 in it and has been given a new lease
on life with this one.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 2010/06/11 11:20 (GMT-0400) eddyrobert at infomed.sld.cu composed:
>
> > Hello, I am a new user of linux, specially I use ubuntu 10.04. I think it
> is one of the
> > best linux distributions, but i have a serious problem with the
> recongnition of my video
> > chipset and the 3d.
>
> > My board is an asus p4bp-mx with a microprocessor celeron D 2.13 Mghz and
> 1 GB of ram and
> > the video card is an onboard intel i845G

i845G is the integrated chipset the Video adapter will read something like
I845GM/L or GL ( various models ).

> > The specific problem is that in this case ubuntu as well as any other
> linux distribution
> > is using the driver i915 by default and that prevents me from using the
> 3d effects or any

i915 is the Xorg driver for this one, it incorporates all Intel chipsets for
video.  What might help is an output from your Xorg log to see what its
currently doing.

You may need to manually enable dri/dri2 manually to enable 3D support, a
quick google shows this may cause instability also seems ymmv.

Nige