Any plan to promote coordinats to 32 bits?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Nov 23 08:22:48 PST 2010

Teika Kazura wrote:
> Dear List,
> X coordinates are 16 bits, but are there any plan to promote them
> to 32 bits? I couldn't find one in the Xorg site.

It's not a simple "promotion" but breaking compatibility with the
existing protocol - it's on the list of things to fix if we ever
get around to a major compatibility breaking revision:

http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/X12#A15bitcoordinatelimit

> In fact, 16 bits are not sufficient these days. If you have
> several screens and enlarge your desktop with a window manager
> to several X screens width / height, it can easily exceed 32767.

Several?  I've yet to see many common monitors larger than 2560 pixels,
so that's still 14 screens wide/high.

> Is this fact known to X developement society?

Of course.   We are capable of basic math.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com