Individual keyboard remapping (again)

Florian Echtler floe at butterbrot.org
Wed Oct 20 11:25:51 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I have basically the same question as the one posted some months
earlier: http://www.spinics.net/lists/xorg/msg49552.html
Unfortunately, I just can't figure it out.

Basic story: I have a plain keyboard and a slightly weird X10 remote
control on my HTPC. The remote is weird as it sends an 'a' keypress for
the mute button, for example. I've solved this problem once by taking
the ati_remote kernel driver and remapping all the buttons to my liking,
however, that's definitely not portable.

So this time, I wanted to do this "properly" via the X11 keyboard
config. According to the post mentioned above, I should be able to do
this with "setxkbmap -device", but no matter what I do, all keymaps
always are identical across devices.

Example:

$ setxkbmap -device 9 us
$ setxkbmap -device 8 de
$ setxkbmap -device 9 -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwertz)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+de+inet(evdev)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
};
$ setxkbmap -device 8 -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwertz)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+de+inet(evdev)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
};

AFAICT, the output should be different? What am I doing wrong?

Florian