Xorg -configure and AllowEmptyInput

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Oct 25 19:38:05 PDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 08:01:42PM -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
> (WW) Disabling Mouse0
> (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
>
> I was wondering if Xorg -configure should issue a warning about that
> after it writes the configuration file.
>
> Yesterday, I ran it on my new video card and had to force a reboot.
> I suppose it happened because I don't have the evdev driver
> installed or HAL enabled in xorg-server 1.9.0.
>
> In my old xorg.conf, I had the following in "ServerFlags":
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"

do you know what this option actually does?
I'd say you probably want to use AutoAddDevices off instead.

> Anyway, just a suggestion. I don't know if it's something on my end,
> but maybe Xorg -configure could be improved somewhat, based on HAL
> and/or evdev presence.

in the large majority of cases, leaving hotplugging enabled is pretty
in-line with what the users want. I realise that on some systems that's not
the case but I'd put it up to the distributor to sort these cases out and
get the rest of the system in shape first.

fwiw, I think putting a warning out is likely just confusing the users who
run -configure but don't know what the warning means.

Cheers,
  Peter