X.Org and network

Maxime ACCADIA maxime.accadia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 02:27:39 PDT 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any project aiming to improve network
features in X.Org.

Despite X11 was designed to work over a network, using X11 over a low
bandwidth network with common desktop environments is a pain.

Thin client architecture is of growing interest for schools, enterprises etc.
Current thin client solutions use one of these technology :
 * VNC (eg. ThinLinc)
 * ssh -X (eg. LTSP)
 * NX

NX gives reasonably good performances (I didn't tried TigerVNC).
However, it seems that open source community isn't very interested by
NX (there might be some good reason to that). Even major distributions
doesn't provide official packages for NX implementations (freeNX,
neatx).

I think a good open source solution for remote display is missing, and
improving X.Org network capabilities is the best way to fix this. This
may imply a fairly great amount of work but also a lot of fun !