Operating a USB-HID Barcode Scanner

Klaus Gradinger klaus.gradinger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 04:50:34 PDT 2010

Hello.

I'm currently operating a Honeywell MK9520 Barcode Scanner that works as a
keyboard emulator, connected as a USB device. Ubuntu shows it as a
/dev/input/by-id/usb-Honeywell_Scanning_and_Mobility_Honeywell_Scanning_and_Mobility_Scanner-event-kbd

The Problem is that everything that is scanned just gets written (in plain
text) do stdin. I'm currently developing a Java Application where that
behavior is unacceptable (because of the lack of an input field). A
solution, which i would prefer, would be if all text  (already translated
from events to plain text) coming from the reader would get redirected into
a named pipe or something similar. Is there any way to achieve this? The
second solution which I don't prefer at all would be to open the
/dev/input/... scanner device within Java, read the byte stream and parse
the key down / key up events myself.

Target Platform is Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop.

I'd highly appreciate it, if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Klaus