Exclusive Fullscreen Mode

Roland Plüss roland at rptd.ch
Tue Sep 7 07:49:06 PDT 2010

On 09/06/2010 09:11 PM, Thomas Lübking wrote:
>> 2) What about performance while fullscreen?
>> performance? Do WMs like KDE switch compositing while something is
>> fullscreen or stays it the same?
> As for KWin: "by default yes" (and there's no GUI to change that setting, and
> oc. not if you made your window translucent...)
What exactly you mean with this? What I'm looking for is if the
compositing is disabled if a window goes fullscreen. I can witness heavy
framerate drops (random) with compositing enabled. Speed can go down to
50%, sometimes 25% of full speed without compositing enabled. So I hoped
while fullscreen this beast is disabled so you get full performance. The
problem is that games in general (high-end ones especially) use a lot of
GPU RAM. With compositing taking away a random amount of GPU RAM. With
exclusive fullscreen one can fully grab all GPU RAM and work with it.
> I don't know what you're after, but using some toolkit usually makes life
> easier and more portable... (even opengl/glx has a function to change the
> resolution)
Xlib is a requirement. Toolkits are therefore a no-go. Concerning OpenGL
I never heard of the ability to change screen resolution. Is this some
extension or GLX only code?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Plüss Roland