Forcing the vesa driver, how?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 21:06:22 PDT 2010

On Friday, September 10, 2010 11:59:22 pm Alan Coopersmith did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > So, since there is not an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file now, how do I force
> > x to use the vesa driver at its optimum settings?
>
> You make an xorg.conf file.   We didn't get rid of xorg.conf, it's just
> optional.   (This isn't new - it's been optional in every single Xorg
> release shipped, but most distros didn't trust the defaults until
> recently, when they improved enough that they were willing to stop
> forcing one on their users. For instance, on Solaris, we always
> defaulted to shipping Xorg without one, from the first integration of
> Xorg 6.7 in Solaris 10 in 2004, since we didn't have an existing tool
> left over from the days XFree86 required them to make one for us.)
>
> To make Xorg use the vesa driver, all you need in /etc/X11/xorg.conf is:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Card0"
>         Driver      "vesa"
> EndSection

I pulled the old one from backups and stripped it down to just that section
& got a good screen at 800x600, so I did it again, using it as it came from
the backup, and its 1024x768?, very nice.  And the lags are totally gone.
For my application, it is easily 50x faster than the radeon driver with no
xorg.conf was.

Thanks Alan.

--
Cheers, Gene