Important capabilities needed

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Sep 21 17:13:45 PDT 2010

David Jackson wrote:
> dear X.org,
>
> Ive used X.org for many years. Being a user of XVNC as well it has
> become increasingly frustrating that there is no way export the main
> X.org display by loading some sort of VNC server driver module. x11vnc
> is too slow.

Sounds like you need a different Xvnc implementation then.   I believe
RealVNC, xf4vnc, and TigerVNC all offer vnc.so loadable modules for the
Xorg server - I don't know which other ones do.   However, X.Org itself
does not provide any VNC support directly, those are all external projects,
and all your suggestions about the functionality they provide should be
directed towards whichever one you use.

> The fact that the Xprint mechanism is no longer avialable simply
> perplexing and concerning. The xprint mechanism allowed a fast and quick
> way to print documents and this feature should be restored.

No one used or maintained it - it died due to lack of interest.   The
xprint git repository was set up to allow someone to continue to maintain
it, no one cared enough to step forward and do so.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com