Create a *real* top level window

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Thu Sep 23 05:08:10 PDT 2010

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster at rasterman.com> writes:
> in the end what you want requires either the wm+cm implements it - or it
> supports it specifically. it's all about mechanism not policy in x11 and in x11
> the wm+cm (wm in older days alone) define such policies.

I don't know what Burton's original motivation for this was but I
would definitely have use for a way to show forced "always on"
messages on the screen. They should be shown in a manner that does not
let normal users hide them.

Currently I'm just forcibly switching to another virtual console, then
disabling virtual console switching and rechecking that I am still on
the safe virtual console. This unfortunately is not stable on many
graphics drivers...

I also read the source of the Xorg selinux extension but was not quite
sure if it was up to the task. I got the impresion that a customized
window manager would be necessary anyway.