Create a *real* top level window

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Sep 23 07:39:21 PDT 2010

Eeri Kask wrote:

> > wrongfully ignore override-redirect? they have little choice.
> > x11 core has defined that they are to bypass the wm.
> > no map redirects for them. dont blame wm's.
>
> No I don't,  though it looks like the current server implementation
> only ensures WMs have no advantage in knowing something about their
> geometrical structure '_in_advance_'  (in respect to all other
> clients).  I haven't read, but maybe the spec just says this. :-)

Nothing prevents a WM (or any other client) selecting
SubstructureNotify to obtain notification of changes, and it will
receive notification regardless of the override_redirect flag.

It's only the ability to "veto" changes via SubstructureRedirectMask
which is limited to one client at a time, and overriden by the
override_redirect flag.