Create a *real* top level window

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Fri Sep 24 02:10:45 PDT 2010

On 09/23/2010 04:43 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:40:47 +0200 Eeri Kask <Eeri.Kask at mailbox.tu-dresden.de>
> said:
>> No I don't,  though it looks like the current server implementation
>> only ensures WMs have no advantage in knowing something about their
>> geometrical structure '_in_advance_'  (in respect to all other
>> clients).  I haven't read, but maybe the spec just says this. :-)
>
> map redirects dont provide "advance knowledge". they provide an intercept
> point. override-redirect windows bypass such an intercept point. the wm can
> only passively listen and try and "fight" these windows after-the-fact. and
> that just leads to a complete mess  they are intended for bypassing the wm.

Oh, I see.  This means all a WM effectively can provide is to
enforce some _geometrical_ restrictions upon visible, i.e. mapped
windows (including refusing them becoming visible) which have no
OverrideRedirect flag set in the moment of requesting.

Apart from that every service beyond should (i.e. could be expected
to) be offered to OverrideRedirect windows too... which implies they
cannot be flatly ignored by the WM;  no?

    Eeri Kask