conflict on a multiseat configuration and DPMS management

David Gauchard deyv at free.fr
Thu Sep 30 02:00:05 PDT 2010

Hello,

I would like to comment on a multi-seat configuration under
Linux (xorg-1.7.7, debian squeeze amd64, native screen, no
Xephyr or so, two cards with intel and nouveau drivers).

It should be noted somewhere that in a multi-seat
configuration, the console's DPMS manager could conflict with
Xorg's and at least should be disabled (I have no better
solution so far).  This is probably because evdev is not
propagating mice and keyboards events to the console power
manager.

In details, my understanding is that with X DPMS activated or
disabled (using good options "NoPM, BlankTime, SuspendTime,
Offtime, DPMS" and with xset), with the multiseat configuration
grabbing keyboards and mice, nothing prevents console's power
manager to detect inactivity and to switch off at least one
monitor.

I send this message here, because it has been a pain to find
this out, and in the first place bugs from Xorg / drivers were
suspected.  Indeed the behaviour was sometimes, after a certain
period of inactivity, the going back of one of the two seats to
the text console, with X mouse (the arrow) still working and
unresponsive keyboard.

It is now working and this is great. I thank everybody for
everything.

david