pseudo multi-seat with dual head

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Apr 2 06:28:56 PDT 2011

Richard Morton wrote:
> So this is my plan/desire...
> Using a single graphics card (either the currently installed one or if
> required; upgrade it to a new one)...
>  - VGA output of graphics card and USB speakers run to bedroom
>  - DVI-D output runs to lounge and digital audio output from MB runs
> to AV receiver which then powers the left,centre&right speakers (no
> surround sound)
>
> both are independently to be controlled via a combination of PS3
> bluetooth remotes (currenlty using the uinput module -
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_BD_Remote#uinput_kernel_module_method)
> and network control
>

> So, my questions:
> 0. How should I do this, what is the preferred/supported x
> configuration; or is it not possible?

If you can set up myth to use a specific LIRC remote then I think you
can do this.  I played around with it for quite a while, and ended
patching LIRC to get this ability.

You'd have to run myth in a window with no decorations, and set the
geometry up to position the two sessions in the right place. I'm not
sure if both frontends would have hardware acceleration, though.  That's
something you'd have to play with.

Set up X for dual head, single big screen, and then play with
mythfrontend --geometry NNN to see if you can get them positioned.

--
My car is Japanese. My Vodka is Russian. My pizza is Italian. My kebab is Turkish. My democracy is Greek. My wine is French. My coffee is Brazilian. My language is English. My movies are American. My music is African. My beers are German. My shirt is Indian. My oil is Saudi Arabian. My electronics are Taiwanese. My rifle is Czech. My shoes are Chinese.  My math is Arabic, my writing Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is Mexican?