pseudo multi-seat with dual head

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Apr 2 08:46:38 PDT 2011

Richard Morton wrote:
> ok, thanks for that. the issue, with using a single dual head display
> rather than using multi-seat is that power management will turn on
> both screens if one screen is in use. I would rather have only the
> screens being used being switched on via powermanagement.

AFAIK there's no way to turn each screen on independently.  I have three
heads; one running myth on a separate card and two running Xephyr on top
of a singe X session.  I had to disable power management on all of them
to make it work.

> So, I guess I go back to asking how I setup multi-seat.. I have played
> with it all day, looking at using kdm and multi-seat display manager
> (mdm, it doesnt mention anything after ubuntu 8.04) and I cant get
> either to work with 10.10 on my laptop (although I would of course be
> looking to implement on 10.04LTS on the server.

mdm is a few scripts that do some fancy stuff to find the root window
and to hook the right input devices to the right screen.  They don't
work with the proprietary nvidia drivers.  I hacked mdm to work with
nvidia; there's a page in their wiki on that.

If you're good with shell scripts, you can hack the scripts to work with
your distro.  I think there's one binary helper app.

> (btw; the idea is to use a single remote and "it just work" for the users.

Single remote for both screens?  Or single remote for each screen?

--Yan

--
My car is Japanese. My Vodka is Russian. My pizza is Italian. My kebab is Turkish. My democracy is Greek. My wine is French. My coffee is Brazilian. My language is English. My movies are American. My music is African. My beers are German. My shirt is Indian. My oil is Saudi Arabian. My electronics are Taiwanese. My rifle is Czech. My shoes are Chinese.  My math is Arabic, my writing Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is Mexican?