Dvorak-Qwerty Keyborad Layout

Dirk Wallenstein halsmit at t-online.de
Tue Apr 12 00:41:33 PDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:15:56PM +0200, Thomas Berger wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I'm using the US Dvorak keyboard layout with X.Org X Server 1.9.0. The
>    problem I have is that control-key and alt-key keys are also mapped, so
>    that ctrl-c becomes ctrl-i, etc. Is there a way to have the Dvorak
>    keyboard layout, but if one presses control or alt it uses the Qwerty
>    keyboard layout? This layout is available by default on Mac OSX. The
>    reasons for such a layout is that the common copy/paste hotkeys X, C,
>    and V remain on the left hand, and so can be used while the right hand
>    is on the mouse.
>    Regarding this issue I found the following workarounds, which did not
>    work as expected:
>    [1]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=774773
>    [2]http://code.google.com/p/dvorak-qwerty/
>    [3]http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4660238.html?sid=e2605ed35a9188
>    210eeb03f07d615279
>    Can such a Dvorak-Qwerty layout be implement/configured in xorg?

No, that can't be done with an XKB configuration.  The solution would be
that shortcuts on the client side could be defined in terms of keys and
not keysyms.  For example in KDE there is the system-settings dialog
"Standard Keyboard Shortcuts" -- so there appears to be desktop wide
abstraction for it.  If it would be possible to to assign a shortcut to
a key and not the keysym (eg 'c' for crtl-c) it would be possible to
have those shortcuts independent of which layout you use.

--
Cheers,
  Dirk