reachedMaximum number of clients

Bernd Schubert bernd.schubert at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Wed Oct 5 07:52:13 PDT 2011

Hello,

I'm getting out of ideas how to get rid of an annoying problem:

Maximum number of clients reachedMaximum number of clients
reachedMaximum number of clients reachedMaximum number of clients
reachedError: cannot open display: :0

Somehow I get this message in my xerrors log file each and every day
after a few hours and I have no idea what causes it. So far I have

- switched from a small xdmcp client to a real desktop system
- avoided to run application over remote-X (which we are frequently
doing here, not only on xdmcp systems)
- switched from gnome to kde
- monitored X usage with xrestop
- monitored open file descriptors of X

Nothing of that has helped or revealed anything so far.

If the issue comes up, xrestop does not show much different values than
after a start of my session. Counting the number of open files with

lsof -p `pidof X` | wc -l

shows rather high number between 750 and 900, but so far not above 1000
(limit is 1024). The /proc/$PID/fd shows even much less open FDs,
usually between 150 and 250.

So it would be really nice, if there would be a way to figure out where
the limit of "Maximum number of clients" comes from.

Thanks,
Bernd