Anyone using a large panning desktop

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 03:25:06 PDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 02:29 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Is anyone here running a large panning (pannable) desktop.
>
> If so would you mind posting your combination of hardware and X
> related settings and versions?

I saw your questions about broken panning in another mailing list,
so I tried adding "Virtual 2048 1024" to the Display subsection
in xorg.conf the way I did years ago.

I was disappointed to find that the change had no effect so I
assumed that I was having the same problem you are and forgot
about it.

I was shocked this morning to find that simply logging in as a
different user (with a fresh home directory) produces a working
panning desktop!

I'm running gnome 2.32.x on xorg server 1.9.5 with the proprietary
nvidia drivers 173.14.31.

The salient point is, obviously, that something in my usual gnome
environment breaks desktop panning -- but what is it?  Gnome has
so many knobs to twiddle I don't even know where to start looking.

Anyone else have an idea?