arious x apps (xterm, xfontsel) don't start due to missing fonts

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Thu Feb 2 16:10:28 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 11:52:45PM +0000, Arnaud Launay wrote:
> walter harms <wharms <at> bfs.de> writes:
> > does "xterm -fn fixed" work ?
>
> I stumbled into the same problem, appears to fix half of it:
>
> fraise ~ # echo $LANG
> fr_FR.UTF-8
>
> fraise ~ # xterm
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

Well this problem was introduced a few years ago (by xorg, of course).
I made a couple of workarounds for it, the most recent in

Patch #276 - 2011/10/10
     * improve  recovery  when  bitmap  fonts are not installed, e.g., so
       that switching font-sizes works for TrueType fonts.

However, for _starting_ xterm, that was fixed as far as I recall in
patch #254 - 2010/1/6.