Intel xorg driver problem with rotated display: xterm output is only flushed when I press button on the keyboard or move the mouse

Thomas Glanzmann thomas at glanzmann.de
Mon Jun 4 01:12:31 PDT 2012

Hello Xorg List,
Hello Thomas Dickey,

* Thomas Glanzmann <thomas at glanzmann.de> [2012-03-24 08:41]:
> I still have the same problems with intel driver and a rotated screen.
> The symptoms are:

>         I do something in the xterm like opening an e-mail in mutt or
>         type 'dmesg' and the screen freezes until I press a button or
>         wait several seconds, than the xterm immediately updates the
>         screen (the program has long finished producing the output.).

I can reproduce this bug on every intel graphic card I get in my hands,
I now have a workaround I switeched from using xterm to urxvt which
doesn't have the problem. rxvt, aterm and other terminal emulators still
have the problem that sometimes a screen update doesn't make it to the
screen until I press a button. To reproduct the bug:

        - Go on machine that has a intel graphic card and start x

        - Rotate the screen: xrandr -1

        - Open a xterm in full screen

        - Work with the xterm until it appears to hang, than press any
          key on the keyboard including the 'shift' key, the output
          comes.

Cheers,
        Thomas