Help on "under the hood" article on why openSUSE xorg could did not default to vesa driver but instead loaded fbdev device limited to 800x600 in Hyper-V virtual machine

Scott Sanbar scott.sanbar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 14:23:08 PDT 2013

I am trying to analyse the Xorg.0.log in /var/log on an openSUSE 12.3
install in a Hyper-V virtual machine.

CentOS 6.3 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS both loaded fine, but for some reason the
vesa driver for the virtualized graphics card (Microsoft graphics card) did
not load only the primitive fbdev and fbdevhw device loaded, limiting the X
screen to 800x600 mode.

There is a fix a fellow on the openSUSE hardware forum suggested, but I
wanted to create an article to address the "whys and wherefores" of why
this happened to help people with the fix foremost, give a summary
explanation secondly and then give and in-depth analysis of why it
happened.  So far, I have fumbled through the Xorg.0.log and done the best
I could, but it is a work in progress.  Any help with this article would be
appreciated:

http://www.sanbarcomputing.com/?p=2033

I am hoping it will not only educate me in the writing, but educate others
interested in this subject and help those who need the fix as well.

Thanks in advance!

**

*Scott Sanbar, Chief Engineer, Sanbar Computing
*

scott.sanbar at gmail.com | http://www.sanbarcomputing.com | (405) 227-4724
Personal Blog:  http://www.aeoril.com/