Keeping the Screen Turned off While Getting Inputs

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 26 16:11:03 UTC 2023

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023, Ahmad Nouralizadeh wrote:

> I want to count the processor-initiated memory accesses. On my 4K display, a huge number of accesses originate from the iGPU and dedicated GPU. I want to exclude these accesses. The IMC counter can
> only track the dedicated GPU accesses. Therefore, I have to turn the screen off to exclude those originated from the iGPU.

Those accesses might not stop with just the display off - some
applications may keep redrawing.

The simplest solution would be to boot to console mode with X off. The
display will still work, but GPU usage would be minimal.

There is more than one console (usually), you can switch between them with
Alt-F1, Alt-F2, etc..

There are also ways to restrict profiling to a single process,
like "perf top -p 12345".

best

Vladimir Dergachev