Xlib: DisplayWidth / DisplayHeight

Krzysztof Hałasa khalasa at piap.pl
Thu Aug 31 06:33:34 UTC 2023

Zbigniew <zbigniew2011 at gmail.com> writes:

> Are you serious when stating, that during creation of a program I
> should play guessing game „what kind of 'subsystem' the user may
> employ”?

No, your program should simply get WxH and draw there. That's the point.

Now, certain specific programs may want to know physical characteristics
of the connected displays. That's why we have xrandr. For most software
it doesn't and shouldn't matter.

BTW panning isn't exactly something new, I use it since early 1990s.

Panning isn't the only way to make WxH differ between physical and, as
you call it, virtual. One can have multiple monitors, each displaying
a fixed portion of the frame buffer. VNC on top of this, with scaling to
fit on another display. Rotations and other transformations. How do you
propose DisplayWidth() and DisplayHeight() should work then?
--
Krzysztof "Chris" Hałasa

Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz
Przemysłowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów PIAP
Al. Jerozolimskie 202, 02-486 Warszawa