[Bidi] Shouldn't the "AL" bidi cathegory be named "AR"?

Beni Cherniavsky cben at users.sf.net
Sat Aug 7 13:25:22 PDT 2004

I'm puzzled by the name of the "AL" bidi cathegory (see
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/#Bidirectional_Character_Types).
If it's supposed to be a shorthand of "Arabic" it should have been named
"AR".  If it's supposed to be a shorthand of "Arabic Right-to-Left", it
again should have been "AR". Do I miss anything?  This cathegory is a
variant of "R" and not "L", so naming it "AL" with no good reason is
quite confusing!

If it is indeed misnamed due to some historical accident, it should be
possible to rename it in future editions of UAX 9.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at users.sf.net>
Note: I can only read email on week-ends...