[Clipart] website

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Sun Apr 11 11:45:16 PDT 2004

Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Cool!
>
> How OOo-specific will the installer be?  I'm wondering because Inkscape
> is going to need something sort of similar, and it seems like there
> might be some opportunities for idea sharing there.

Well... what I am working on is fairly OOo-specific.  Allow me to explain:

  * The clipart would be placed in OOo's internal gallery.
  * It will also download templates and macros, and those are OOo-only tools.

I guess that there could be a choice of clipart installation directory.  So
the user can either send the clipart to OOo's internal gallery, or put it in
/user/share/clipart/something/

Doing that should not be a problem, I don't think.  But when an Inkscape
user runs this program, it would be completely evident that it was intended
for an OOo user.

I guess that the Inkscape people could just grab the source and modify it so
the user never sees the other options.  This is an easy change.  It's just
one line in the XUL file.  Maybe that's the best option?  We'll see.
Remember that I just got started on the program.  It's just a GUI.  There is
no programming logic there yet (and that's going to be the hard part).

> Second, various applications may
> include their own application-specific artwork, that they'd want to
> access from their own application-specific locations.

It might be best to make a different installer for each application by
modifying the source code of the original.

But again, I am in no position to discuss this, since I haven't even begun
the programming logic.

> Instead of listing the author name and email address, how about listing
> the title and author name (but not the email address)?

Sure.  Makes sense to me.  How's this?:

http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/oooplus.png

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera | No trees were harmed in the generation of this  e-mail.
PhD student.   | A significant number of electrons were, however, severely