[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.05

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 3 08:25:08 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com>
> To: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: [Clipart] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.05
>
> The Fifth Release of the Open Clip Art Library is now available on the
> site, incorporating 721 SVG images (4.2M).  Included is an example of
> making borders for scribus.
>
> We had hoped to get some categorization set up for this release but
> unfortunately there wasn't time.  Most of the tools support keywords

Can the simple categorisation (using directories) I used for the Gradients
be reintroduced?

I think a seperate top level directories will be needed for
gradients
patterns
clipart
and possibly
templates/samples/compositions (just the one directory,
not sure of a good name)

What do people think of that idea?

I have a few template blank SVG files of various sizes that I'm more than
happy to share.  If you know what size document you want it can sometimes
be more convenient than starting the application and changing the page
size later.  (Inkscape does have a document preference for changing the
page size amongst the other options but I had gotten so used to the likes
of the Gimp and Adobe Photoshop I didn't find it for a long time because I
was expecting something like a menu item for "Canvas Size" or Resize
Image).

The id are also informative labels rather than just randomly generated
numbers but I'm not sure what to do with them, they could possibly be
used as keywords or titles.

I probably missed it but in case I didn't could there be a reminder a few
days before the next release, I have some patterns I probably would have
packaged in time given a reminder (I'll try and remember to do them this
week but I usually get distracted and strart creating more patterns
instead).   The patterns will be similarly troublesome as the gradients
were.  I dont mind there being an instance/sample being included in the
file so long as there is a way to strip it out but WebDraw users
(all of whom would be Windows users) would
definately need to strip it out and I do not think can reasonably
be expected to figure out how to run the necessary perl script.

> now, so it's just a matter of adding the keywords to the subjects of the
> SVGs.  Hopefully we can tackle that for the next release, which I figure

- Alan