[Clipart] legality

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Aug 12 06:34:59 PDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:04:37 +0300
> From: Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com>
> To: clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>
> Subject: [Clipart] legality
>
> what do you think, is allright for me to submit this image to our
> repository or not because of legal concerns?
>
> http://www.nicubunu.ro/cartoon/bsa/
>
> the image above represent the BSA mascot used to child brainwashing:
>
> http://www.playitcybersafe.com/kids/index.cfm
>
> i can think of some fun uses for it ;)

Great opportunity for satire but I do not think you can put it in the
public domain any more than you could the gimp logo or the blender logo.

If you were perhaps to provide a more generic weasel that could reasonably
be considered differnt from theirs I think you might have better grounds
for inclusion.  For now though I think you best bet is to submit it to
FARK or Something Awful for one of their graphics contests :)

- Alan