size of release sets (was Re: [Clipart] Open Clip Art Library - Release 0.06)

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Aug 30 10:09:59 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:56:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net>
> To: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: size of release sets (was Re: [Clipart] Open Clip Art Library -
>     Release 0.06)
>
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
> > There is also considerably more clipart in this release than before.
> > We've grown from 721 items in the 0.05 release to over 1700 unique
> > images in this one, with a corresponding increase in the size of the
> > package from 4.2M to over 12M.
>
> When will the project begin splitting it up into separate tar balls?
>
> Maybe whenever there is around 10MB to split out?

it is 12 MB tar gzipped
it is 11 MB tar bzip2
(i bzipped a copy, not as impressive as I had hoped)

Looking at 0.06  it comes out at 43 MB decompressed, over 7 MB of it is in
the one folder, action/

unsorted contains another 7 MB, and we really shouldnt be distributing it
until someone has categorised the files and made some basci effort to
confir that they are not offensive or copyright (ie someone elses logo).

I haven't worked out how much space is being taken up by PNG files, I
expect it is significant.

I would have thought that for something like clipart we would want to keep
it as simple as possible and not split it up until it got much bigger.

I mean like 50-100 MB at least.
Users concerned about space are more likely to download only the
individual files they want and I cannot think of how things could best be
split up.  I expect that Icon Themes and gradient and patterns will be the
first to go.

We might be able to provide package of only what has changed since the
last release as another way to save bandwidth.

gotta go

- Alan