[Clipart] borders for printing flyers, announcements

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Jul 3 12:41:57 PDT 2004

Riku Leino <tactics at welho.com> writes:

> When talking about Scribus the current solution is the best I can
> imagine. After all Scribus is a dtp application which means that
> things you create with it are most likely to be printed on paper
> which then again most likely will be white.

On paper, yes.

> Having the page background something else than the paper color is a
> really strange solution.

No, it's not strange; it is standard behavior.  *ALL* well-behaved
applications do this[1], and there is *NO* excuse to do otherwise.
OpenOffice.org does it (if you have Win32 or GTK2).  Corel WordPerfect
Office Suite does it.  Microsoft Office does it.  Microsoft Works does
it.  602 PC Suite does it.  Heck, WordPad does it.  Scribus flunks.

The correct behavior is as follows:

The default colors (for areas where the user has not changed the
color) are "Automatic", which means that on the screen they will use
the system default colors, but on paper (or when exporting to PDF or
cetera) they will be black (foreground) and white (background).

If your system colors are set to black on white (which is the default
in I think every operating system) you may never notice this behavior,
but it is crucial for people whose eyes can't take Evil Blinding White
Backgrounds for more than a minute or two.

Yes, this is a minority condition.  (I also can't go outside in the
daytime without squinting, and the brightness drives me back indoors;
I spend 165+ hours per week inside buildings.  On the plus side, I can
see very well at night, and I have excellent color discernment.  In a
pinch I can read #305050 text against a #294D4A background (though I
usually use #FFE6BC or so against #294D4A).  Also I can read books by
the light of a votive candle halfway across the room.)

Still, while this setting only of *critical* importance for people
like me, there are *lots* of people who prefer to see their chosen
system colors on the screen for aesthetic reasons, and there's no
reason for an app to do otherwise; if the user wanted black on white
on the screen, that's what their system colors would be; it *is* the
default after all; if it's been changed, there's a reason.

> In preferences you are allowed to set the paper color what ever you
> want though.

Yeah, but then it won't come out white on paper, will it?

[1] Except on Mac and BeOS, where the preference doesn't even exist.